Saturday, April 28, 2007

Day Nine

Here's the cabin at the end of the day. The overhangs will be a foot
and a half beyond the walls once the metal roof is put up.
Here I am, very wet, very muddy. Behind me you can see
the window I got for the gable ends. There's one for the
front (south) side too.

I bought these folding chairs for the cabin when I got

the windows.






I made these temporary catwalks to help me put up the plywood sheathing. The loft really helped too.

Here you can see the roof sheathing going up.

P.M.: It rained all day long, but I couldn't bear to watch the cabin getting soaked so I went back and finishrd the loft, checked the rafters' connection, and began the roof sheathing. This turned out to be a very difficult job alone.



A.M.: Rick and I have to go home tomorrow, a long drive with traffic. We may be able to do some work, but today is our last chance at a full day. I need to start being a realist and get the cabin ready for several days without me. I made a mistake last night working all the way into the dark and din't leave myself enough time for clean-up and making sure the cabin would stay dry in case of rain. I gambled and lost. It rained most of the night. I'd like to secure some sort of covering for the roof, even if it's just a tarp, do something about the gables, and finish siding the south side, while leaving myself access for my next visit. I don't think I'll have time to install the doors and even if I did, I certainly wouldn't have time to install the shutters to secure it. More later- hopefully a success story.

2 comments:

fcc said...

Hello Aaron!

Wow! This looks great--and also extremely familiar!
What's a start to building without rain, mud, and one problem-solving challenge after another?

Fantastic work to pull this off solo--and have all body parts and spirit in tack. Congrats on launching this whole adventure...

We'll stay tuned!
Doe

Carlee said...

Hi Aaron,
This is so cool. I was telling Adam we need to do this. Great job, you have a large amount of background knowledge in construction that I didn't realize.

Congrats on the Boy!! We love having boys.

Keep up the hard work!
Car